Which is faster?

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

Chad Austin
xcskiforum 20K

Which is faster?

Postby Chad Austin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:18 am

Again, I'm new at this so you'll have to excuse my enthusiasm when it comes to talking about next year's Birkie already.

I'm curious for those of you that have done the Birkie and run a marathon, which do you do faster?

They seem to be fairly comparable with the Birkie being slightly quicker. Of course, the better the skier the bigger the variation.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:30 am

Chad Geise did the TC marathon in a little over three hours. There are tons of skiers who run marathons. Just cross reference the names.

Chad Austin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Chad Austin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:56 am

kuan wrote:Just cross reference the names.

That requires effort on my part.

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:04 am

Apples and oranges, I'd say. Depends how good of a runner or skier you are compared to the other. If you're in great shape, but can't wax worth beans ... you're in trouble.
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Chad had an article somewhere about his marathon. I think he was clicking off miles pretty well and then fell apart, so the final time doesn't show how he ran the race. I remember seeing some pretty impressive 5 km times from him considering that he was training for skiing not running.

I don't think you can compare runnning and skiing times. Even though I'm usually a few seconds in front of Mike Moulsoff skiing, I'm quite certain that Mike would completely destroy me in a running race, as in a complete embarassment since I really struggle to run a 40 min 10 km. (I've only timed myself once. That was enough to tell me that I would need a lot of work to run moderately fast.) Of course this also shows I don't know much about running....

Grin,

Jay

Chad Austin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Chad Austin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:49 pm

Well, I didn't realize it was such a difficult question. I was just looking for real-life examples of people that post here, for example something like this;

I ski the Birkie around 3:20 and run marathons around 3:45.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:21 pm

I ski the Birkie in 2:35 and while I've never run a marathon, there's no way I could run it that fast. I doubt I could do it under 3:00 either. I think running a marathon is harder than skiing the Birkie on a fast snow day. A 45F degree super-slow slop-fest might make the Birkie harder.

My knees don't last more than 1 mile when running.

matt aro
xcskiforum 10K

Postby matt aro » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:00 pm

My best Birkie time is approximately 2:35 or so and my best marathon is 3:34 (in an Ironman triathlon). I haven't done a standalone marathon since high school but I think if I trained specifically for one for a few months I might be able to do a 3:15 or so? Just a guess.

Return to “Races and Racing”