Are you on track?

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Are you on track?

Postby kaNUK » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Looks like snow is fast approaching. Time to scrape the windshield, time to dig out the balaclava for those early morning rides to work and time to think about skiing myself in shape after a summer of "nuthin but kayakin".

Oh wait! That was last year. 8)
I've done a lot of biking in the early summer, then switched to running during a vacation in BC. Running became addictive ...and I forgot I'm north of 40 on the age-o-meter. I was running up to 90 km a week. My Achilles started to hurt when I switched shoes. I ignored it because the shoes were "so comfortable". Now my tendons are so stiff in the mornings I have to hobble down stairs holding on to the railing. Tendinitis sucks!

While my ski training was going quite well, (15 km running time down to about an hour) I've been derailed by the injury. I've switched to biking and am spinning low gears. Also hitting the gym twice a week to build core & poling strength. And of course lots of stretching.

Doc said "No Running! ...at all!!" ...told me biking only if it's totally pain free. Skating should be fine, classic remains to be seen. Pole walking may be possible in a couple of weeks, but no bounding. I also have to get orthotics to account for my pronation.

The challenge: To keep the conditioning alive till the snow flies. Fitness has improved and I've dropped 15 pounds since July (hills? what hills? :-) )

How is your training going?

kaNUK

enevala
World Cup

Re: Are you on track?

Postby enevala » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:59 am

kaNUK wrote:

How is your training going?

kaNUK

Overall my training has been going pretty well. I've been doing some different things this year, including a lot of plyo, and quite a bit of rollerskiing over the summer, putting in a lot of freeskate and DP time. I think my balance is in a really good place, and my specific strength is way over what it has been in the past at this time of year. My weight is where it was at the end of last season, not bad, but could be better.

I sprained my knee in August (which took some wind out of my sails), but overall I'm looking forward to a better season than last year. I'm feeling much stronger than I have in the past. I think the biggest barriers this winter are going to be mental.

kaNUK wrote:Doc said "No Running! ...at all!!" ...told me biking only if it's totally pain free. Skating should be fine, classic remains to be seen. Pole walking may be possible in a couple of weeks, but no bounding. I also have to get orthotics to account for my pronation.

Careful w. the Achillies stuff! I had the same issue back in 06 and it blossomed into a beautiful case of Plantar Fasciitis--kept me from running for almost 9 months (hours spent on the elliptical and stationary bike are no fun!!). Take care!

e.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:42 am

I'm a little fitter than last year and I'm working on my weak side leg push and DP this year. My DP has gotten a lot better, better ab crunch, more compact, and I got rid of that awful forearm rotation that was causing some tendinitis. Hopefully that will translate to better skating.

Return to “Races and Racing”