conversation w Netherlands skiers

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

conversation w Netherlands skiers

Postby Ken Roberts » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Just before heading out for a backcountry ski tour in the Maurienne, I met a couple who I thought maybe were speaking German.

so I asked: I guess you guys drove a long way to get here.

woman reponded: Yes, 1200 kilometers.

me: Where did you come from?

she: Holland.

me: There's a guy who lives in the Netherlands, but he always drives to Austria + Germany to ski. My theory is that's because he finds it easier to deal with the language.

she: Yes.
But the skiing is better in France.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Re: conversation w Netherlands skiers

Postby Cloxxki » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Ken Roberts wrote:Just before heading out for a backcountry ski tour in the Maurienne, I met a couple who I thought maybe were speaking German.

so I asked: I guess you guys drove a long way to get here.

woman reponded: Yes, 1200 kilometers.

me: Where did you come from?

she: Holland.

me: There's a guy who lives in the Netherlands, but he always drives to Austria + Germany to ski. My theory is that's because he finds it easier to deal with the language.

she: Yes.
But the skiing is better in France.

Hmm, si le ski est meilleur en France, c'est la ou je viens, la prochaine fois!

French got me my best grades in school, I just never spoke any of it afterwards, while German just never let go of me despite having been reponsible for my worst grades, and dropping the course at first opportunity.

That's a long drive. They must have been from the North. That can be a much as 200km extra :-)
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

Re: conversation w Netherlands skiers

Postby Ken Roberts » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Cloxxki wrote:That's a long drive.

And it must be admitted that it might be that France is better for skiers with a car, while some other place is better for skiers who prefer to make their trips without a car.

Racing -- Anyway, for a racer I guess it doesn't matter about which country has more interesting or enjoyable skiing. As long as there's a flat section of trail with snow on it, a moderate-steep section, and one very steep section for each kind of training workout -- and some other racers to argue about waxing.

Ken

Return to “Europe”