VT - Stowe - 2011-2012

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT - Stowe - 2011-2012

Postby LewLasher » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:04 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about the Stowe, Vermont area for the 2011-2012 skiing season.

LewLasher
World Cup

Starting late but good

Postby LewLasher » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Skied at Trapp's today. Their 5th day (aside from a few days around Thanksgiving), my 1st. Conditions were fair to good. Decent snow cover on all open trails, only a scant few trail anomalies. Tracks available about half the time where you would want them. 25k open: all 3 direct routes up to the cabin, Haul Road down through Oslo, the whole race course.

AIG/Chartis/Mount Mansfield/SMR is open and is also claiming 25k, including the connector up to the Haul Road.

Correction: I looked back at Trapp's Web site, and they are claiming 35k. And SMR is now claiming 32K.

LewLasher
World Cup

more like a hangover than a new year at this point

Postby LewLasher » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Everything pretty much shut down today. Trapps had something like 2 km open on manmade snow. (Craftsbury had 3 km, thanks to their snowmaking.) Similarly in New Hampshire: Jackson, Bretton Woods, closed, closed.

But Trapps thinks they got enough snow today to reopen tomorrow ... stay tuned ...

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Re: VT - Stowe - 2011-2012

Postby worm-rider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:58 am

We were at Trapp on 12/31 and 1/1 for the first time and had a great time. Conditions were varied, but it was nice to finally see some snow somewhere.

LewLasher
World Cup

Open again, actually, as of yesterday

Postby LewLasher » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:03 pm

I skied today at AIG/SMR/Mansfield. Conditions were fair to good. 15 km: main loop, Peavey to Houston, the far-end Bear Run/Burt loop, and the connector to Trapps.

Trapps has 20 km open.

Craftsbury has 16 km open, including some amount on the big lake (but the trail to the lake isn't open yet, so you have to walk down to the lake).

LewLasher
World Cup

Couple of inches of snow is enough

Postby LewLasher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I skied at Trapp's today. Conditions were pretty good today. That nice secure feeling going down hills brought back memories from previous ski seasons. They reported 35 km today, which is probably including the Haul Road (including the Chute) and Oslo which were recommended for uphill only. I think everything else on the north side of the road was open except for Hare Line.

LewLasher
World Cup

Watch - kids at play

Postby LewLasher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:52 pm

The other thing I forgot to mention about Trapp's today is that there was a group of about 80 kids from the elementary school in Waterbury (the town just south of Stowe), mostly clumped around Picnic Knoll, the big treeless hill at the end of the beginner trail. The plan is that they will be coming every Thursday during winter, and today was their first day.

I'm not sure how to describe this, other than that it was excruciatingly adorable.

LewLasher
World Cup

All trails open

Postby LewLasher » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:45 pm

I skied today at AIG/SMR/Mansfield. Conditions were good to very good (actually, it was too cold for me to tell the difference between "good" and "very good" conditions). They report all trails open, but some of the small minor trails (e.g., Wash Run, Skidder) were not groomed (other than, in some cases, skier-groomed). Groomed trails were tracked.

Some skiers were out on backcountry trails, too.

Trapp's claims all their trails open; maybe I'll check them out tomorrow, if I can decide where to climb aboard the temperature gradient between the forecast -12 to +22 F.

Also, the town Recreation Path is groomed and tracked. They had a big family ski event today, and there seemed to be a bunch of skiers of various ages out there despite today's frigid weather.

LewLasher
World Cup

Another couple of inches would be ideal

Postby LewLasher » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Skied up to the Trapp cabin today from the SMR/Mansfield side. Conditions generally good, a little fast/hard-packed on the downhills. Hoping for another couple of inches of snow out of tomorrow's mixed precipitation forecast.

At Trapp's, Hare Line - usually one of the last trails to open, because of the water features at the bottoms of the hills - was groomed+tracked, with no water features (or ice features) in sight.

At SMR/Mansfield, all the major trails were groomed+tracked, except Ranch Valley Cruise, which was groomed but a little rough around the edges. Still waiting for them to groom the following minor trails: Skidder, Wash Run, Crosscut 5.

LewLasher
World Cup

Trapp's all open

Postby LewLasher » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:50 pm

I skied today at Trapp's and can confirm that all the trails are open, from the upper-level trails (Oslo, Bobcat, Hare Line), down the Haul Road and Chute, to tho lower-level trails across the street (Sleigh Road, Aither). Conditions good, almost everything tracked. Remains to be seen what today's mixed precipitation will end up as.

LewLasher
World Cup

5" of new snow; ice is forgotten

Postby LewLasher » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Skied at Trapp's today. Conditions good to very good. Haul Road not groomed but we didn't care.

Had a nice pizza + beer at the bakery/brewery.

LewLasher
World Cup

Nice day - for snowshoes

Postby LewLasher » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Skied today at Mansfield/SMR. Conditions fair. There is a difference between ice and crust. This was crust. Skiable, if just barely. Skied the main loop plus the outer part of Bear Run (called "Old Bear" in the SMR conditions reports). Considered myself lucky not to get any biffs, whatever that means. Also grateful that I did not knock down the snowshoers, who were having a great time today. (I was more surprised to see a snowboarder who somehow decided today was a great day for the backcountry ...)

Snow expected tonight, then ice and rain tomorrow. It's hard to tell whether we'll come ahead, or whether it will just be a wash.

LewLasher
World Cup

Snow + rain + ice + snow = OK skiing

Postby LewLasher » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:30 pm

LewLasher wrote:Snow expected tonight, then ice and rain tomorrow. It's hard to tell whether we'll come ahead, or whether it will just be a wash.

Came out ahead, if just barely. Just enough (thin but heavy - which sounds contradictory) snow to move up from crust to packed powder. So today's conditions moved up from "fair" to "good". (Both at SMR/Mansfield and upper-elevation Trapp's.)

Tomorrow (Sunday) night's forecast offers the possibility of 2-4" more, which could move things from "good" to "very good".

LewLasher
World Cup

Good day for metal edges

Postby LewLasher » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:55 pm

There hasn't been any snow in Stowe in about a week. There is still (somehow) a significant base, and it's amenable to grooming. So, for example, at the collegiate races, yesterday and today (Dartmouth Winter Carnival, relocated due to no snow at all at Dartmouth), the racers were happy enough. But it was pretty icy on the downhills - especially downhill Parizo. I was testing out my newly-acquired used metal-edged backcountry skis, so I was doing fine, thank you very much. But most skiers were not happy on those downhills.

LewLasher
World Cup

Still here

Postby LewLasher » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Yesterday I skied at Trapp's; today I skied from Mansfield/SMR up to the Trapp cabin.

On both sides, conditions are fair to poor at the lower elevations, but good at higher elevations.

Late in the afternoon, I went back to test my new/used backcountry skis, and, in light of the untimely death of Whitney Houston, I went down on the Houston trail (probably the steepest groomed trail at SMR) for the first time this season (or, now that I think of it, the last 3 seasons). Good to have the metal edges there. On the other hand, the Ranch Camp connector was good even without metal edges.

Return to “NorthEast”