bicycle commute helps/hurts training

Something for summer

Moderator: Moderator Group

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

bicycle commute helps/hurts training

Postby SpecialGreen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:22 pm

My commute is about 40 minutes of bicycling, mostly L1, with touches of L2 when I stick-it-out in a lower gear for a brief climb. It's not a long-enough duration to be a normal L1 "long slow" session. I've tried stretching it past an hour, by running before the commute, and taking longer routes home in the evening. But I don't have enough spare time to really make it longer than about 70 minutes, each way. I'm wondering if it's too brief to be L1, and not hard enough to be a short workout... maybe even detrimental to summer/fall training.

enevala
World Cup

Re: bicycle commute helps/hurts training

Postby enevala » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:10 am

SpecialGreen wrote:My commute is about 40 minutes of bicycling, mostly L1, with touches of L2 when I stick-it-out in a lower gear for a brief climb. It's not a long-enough duration to be a normal L1 "long slow" session. I've tried stretching it past an hour, by running before the commute, and taking longer routes home in the evening. But I don't have enough spare time to really make it longer than about 70 minutes, each way. I'm wondering if it's too brief to be L1, and not hard enough to be a short workout... maybe even detrimental to summer/fall training.

If you plan it out as a workout, you can get some good value from it. Try mixing in some of the following from time to time:
1. Low gear spinning: shift all the way down and spin as fast as you can in low gear for 2 minutes, rest for 1 min, repeat 5 times.
2. One leg pedaling: Unclip one foot and pedal with the other for 1 min. rest, switch, repeat.
3. Stop sign intervals: Go like hell from one traffic control to another, rest for the next segment, repeat.

There's more to be had than just straight L1/L2......

HTH

Eric

Return to “Biking”