Anyone skied yet?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Anyone skied yet?

Postby Neuro » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:27 am

There's a track not far away that has artificial snow and I'm quite tempted to go even though it might be slushy and not good for the skis with gravel coming through etc.

Wish I had some old skis for this time of year, maybe look at the second hand market for a pair.

Val LiCon
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Anyone skied yet?

Postby Val LiCon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:05 am

California had a good storm late last week. We have great skiing in the North Tahoe / Truckee area. Tahoe Donner, Royal Gorge and Tahoe Cross Country are all open. Farther South Bear Valley Cross Country is open. Kirkwood and Tamarack open this weekend. I've skied the last 6 days. The past 4 have been fantastic.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Awesome. Such a nice looking area.

So California for the early skiing eh..

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:56 am

Went out for the first outing of the year. :finga: It was very nice. Skating. The track (2 km loop) is a mix of artificial and old snow, but perfectly prepared with a nice solid base and ice granules on top. Since it was cold the glide was good too.

But as seems to be every year, I slightly miss the perfect grip of the rollerski at pushoff and had to use the upper body more. The increased speed was nice, but slightly worried first lap when coming full speed suddenly remembered outside the track was asphalt and whatnot, but all went well.

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:39 am

Finally got out skiing yesterday and again this morning. There has been skiable snow within day trip distance of Minneapolis/St.Paul, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

The local downhill place FINALLY opened up to nordic early morning on Sunday for the first time this year. Right in the middle of the snow storm! I got 15km and 2500 feet of climbing in.

Then this morning I got out at Como Golf Course for my first full natural snow ski of the year. It's pretty chilly out but it was nice to have a loop to ski. Once on natural snow for the season. I'm 10% of the way to my local total from last year.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:46 pm

We are skiing in Montana. Several snowfalls since late November have got things going pretty good. I spent November 26 through December 3 in West Yellowstone. Almost daily fresh snowfalls made the trails nice. Here's a view on the Dead Dog trail in West:

Locally in northern Montana many places are starting to groom. I spent my 70th birthday skiing at the Izaak Walton Inn. They had groomed some trails but, alas, no set track for this mostly classic skier.

And a look at the scenery at Izaak Walton:
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks for the update guys. I particularly like seeing the pictures.

I too, got out for what felt like my first ski. I double poled in slow know last Sunday, but this Sunday was cold, new snow, and it was groomed. I was floored. They never get it (groomIng) right in the beginning of the year, but this time they did. Of course the sliders and walkers were out in full force on the trail.

Slap, ok now deal with -20 F wind chills.

Jay

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Montana wrote:We are skiing in Montana.
I spent my 70th birthday skiing at the Izaak Walton Inn.

Sweet.. Grats on the birthday. Image

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:41 am

Btw, are those Fischer Twins, Montana?

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Actually, first race was today. I certainly wasn't ready to race, but what the hell. Race to get in shape.

https://www.facebook.com/skinnyski/phot ... 1418462272

I'm in the green suit. I used my rock skis (not very good in cold or soft snow) since the we got 6" of new snow overnight, and that was needed to pull off the race. The snow hadn't set up yet, and the last km is on a tar path. No problems and I didn't hear of anyone dinging up skis. After -20F tonight, the course should be in good shape.

Jay

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:54 pm

So what was the wax of the day Jay?

I was out at the Solstice Chase Fat Bike Race volunteering. Thinking of some super squeaky classic skiing tomorrow afternoon when the temp peaks at around -5F.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:26 pm

I skied 2 times double pole on back roads just messing around with rock skis before this last snowfall. Today was my first day on the Birkie trail skating. Soft snow conditions. There was alot of people out to beat the cold tomorrow. With a couple small snowfall totals over the last week or two the trail is in good shape for the grooming they have done. Looking forward to the groomers pulling out the pisten bully and compacting and evening out the trail.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:30 am

MN Hoser wrote:Actually, first race was today. I certainly wasn't ready to race, but what the hell. Race to get in shape.

https://www.facebook.com/skinnyski/phot ... 1418462272

I'm in the green suit. I used my rock skis (not very good in cold or soft snow) since the we got 6" of new snow overnight, and that was needed to pull off the race. The snow hadn't set up yet, and the last km is on a tar path. No problems and I didn't hear of anyone dinging up skis. After -20F tonight, the course should be in good shape.

Jay

Nice. Looks fun but very cold..

LMAO: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8 ... e=58E674E2

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:09 am

Ben, I waxed two pairs about the same. My "good skis" (hate to ding them up) had a layer of Briko cold 8F (basically a cold mid fluor) and a light rub of Start 92. The rock skis had Holmenkol green (basically a cold mid fluor) and a light rub of Start 92. The 92 killed the speed and it didn't last long on the skis. The big question was whether to use good skis or not. The good skis climbed and floated on the snow better than the rock skis, which have never performed well in cold weather.

I went with the rock skis figuring the race was really a training race. I don't think the good skis would have made a difference in the results, but I probably would have had an easier time hanging onto the group at the end when the attacks starting coming.

I need a fast pair of cold skis.

Jay

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:22 pm

With the latest cold spell and snowfall, the season is finally underway for me as some new loops have opened in the artificially based track and conditions are great. Still not enough snow for my normal (natural snow) route in the woods, but now I will go regularly (2-4 times a week) as there will likely not be too much melt to ruin it.

Plenty people out obviously, and now more skating than doing classic which I've never seen before even though the classic track is perfectly groomed. Also interesting to see how many of the classic skiers were on skin skis.

It's weird to say so, but the guy standing on the side of the track waxing after having set out on non-working skis was almost an amusing sight and it wasn't just my smugness having brand new skin skis. Casual skier waxing already feels like a thing of the past believe it or not. Maybe this is what the first glass fiber users felt watching the wood skiers take out their blow torches and tar..

Return to “General Discussion”