Where do you rollerski?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Where do you rollerski?

Postby Neuro » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:15 am

Taking a cue from another thread, it would be fun to hear where you go rollerskiing. Length, gradients, conditions, dangers etc.

I go a footpath up and down a river here in the city centre, about 10 km. It's steep at 100+ m height difference, but nicely balanced with steep and flat parts mixed for a good workout. Asphalt is not entirely smooth, but air is surprisingly good. Negative is loose dogs barking and even attacking me. Brakes are essential here. Some pics here.

When there's too much gravel in spring and early winter, I go along a footpath in the harbor that's usually cleaned more than other paths for some reason. It's 8km, completely flat and with a sea breeze very good air. Before even that's swept I go a normal old road in the woods, but really don't like to mix it with cars so this is just when the itch in the spring becomes too much.
Last edited by Neuro on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Where do you rollerski?

Postby davidb » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:50 pm

When I lived in Los Angeles, I skied in a large municipal park, lots of car traffic, gangs, gravel, steep downhills,and the occasional dead body. (I'm not kidding!)

Now, it's a bit more civil: Long ski through a housing tract early Sunday AM to avoid cars. I have a really good 8 min interval loop with downhills that are just right; I do intervals twice a week; but still lots of car traffic and gravel;and it's probably illegal to roller ski here.

Oh yeah, I almost ran over a rattlesnake last October, and a friend saw a mountain lion recently.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:33 pm

In Portland OR greater metro area, the best place by far to rollerski is Banks-Vernonia Trail
http://www.traillink.com/trail-photos/b ... trail.aspx
If you start in Banks the first 5 miles are flat, then there is a gentle uphill for the next 5 miles followed by gentle downhill for the remaining 10.
However, there are a few steep sections where brakes (or very good skills) are required.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/450572
The trail follows old railway, and is very peaceful and bucolic, except for couple of places where you may encounter dogs from nearby farms.
However, the trail is about 30 minutes from downtown, in light traffic, which these days in Portland means 6 AM on Sunday.

On the east side, there is the Springwater Corridor Trail.
http://www.traillink.com/trail-photos/s ... ridor.aspx
The first several miles go through the city and are infested with hobos (whom the city tries to remove), which makes it a bad place to rollerski.
Once you reach Gresham, hobos become scarce, the pavement and scenery improve all the way to Boring.
This trail may also require a long drive to reach, depending where you live.
That's it as far as good rollerskiing in Portland, as far as I know. Portland has a chaotic mishmash of bike trails. The city boasts how bicycle-friendly it is, but in reality, those short disconnected patches are unsuitable for anything other than short bike ride with your kids.
They cannot even remotely compare with the trail system in, say Minneapolis.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:11 pm

davidb wrote:When I lived in Los Angeles, I skied in a large municipal park, lots of car traffic, gangs, gravel, steep downhills,and the occasional dead body. (I'm not kidding!)
That's crazy Image

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:26 am

Actually, I'm a big fan of diversity, multiculturalism and political correctness (the academics insist it's our strength) so the dead bodys, gangs, drive-bys and graffiti didn't bother me at all. (Who am I to judge another culture? Right?)

The only thing I couldn't accept in L.A. was the really bad news smog.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:39 am

davidb wrote:Actually, I'm a big fan of diversity, multiculturalism (...)

Multiculturalism is destroying diversity.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Curious where you rollerski Magnus. Can you ski from your house?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:10 pm

Neuro wrote:Curious where you rollerski Magnus. Can you ski from your house?

Yes, I can and often do. Otherwise I usually take the bike with my roller skis and poles some kilometers to an appropriate starting place.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Separate biking lanes and dedicated rollerski courses I believe you said in the other thread? Good asphalt all round?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Neuro wrote:Separate biking lanes and dedicated rollerski courses I believe you said in the other thread? Good asphalt all round?

That is what I generally prefer but not what I have outside my door. However, a very nicely packed dirt road in dry weather is best, but that is rare.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:Otherwise I usually take the bike with my roller skis and poles some kilometers to an appropriate starting place.

What do you do with the bike while you rollerski? Hide it in the bushes? Chain it to the tree? Or is Sweden still a place where you can leave it unsecured in plain view?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:25 am

skiffrace wrote:What do you do with the bike while you rollerski? Hide it in the bushes? Chain it to the tree? Or is Sweden still a place where you can leave it unsecured in plain view?

I lean it against a tree and lock the rear wheel. It is a rather unattractive bike so it hasn't been stolen yet.

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:04 pm

I roller ski in a variety of places, but all previously known to me so I don't get surprised.

Various Rural Roads:
Afton MN is a hot spot of local roller skiing. Relatively low traffic roads, good pavement, good hills. You also happen to ski past Jessie Diggins' house and she might say high to you right before she heads over to Europe and starts kicking ass... like she did to me this fall :D

My training group has a couple of goto spots in the St. Croix valley on the WI side we hit up.

My neighborhood is OK. Nothing exciting but I can get out.

Bike Trails:
There are a number in the area that are great. The Gateway Trail and Browns Creek Trail in the eastern Twin Cities metro are great places to ski.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:17 am

Not on roads for starters. You are not a vehicle or bicycle and the way people drive now good luck. I have a rail trail with crushed gravel I could probably go for 30 km at least but I just go by time. I also have a paved rec trail out and back is 16 km. Booth are fairly flat but there are some small hills and grades . We lost most of our snow and I just might go roller skiing this afternoon.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:36 am

bmullin wrote:Afton MN is a hot spot of local roller skiing. Relatively low traffic roads, good pavement, good hills. You also happen to ski past Jessie Diggins' house and she might say high to you right before she heads over to Europe and starts kicking ass... like she did to me this fall :D

Way cool 8)

Return to “Roller Skis”