Spills and thrills

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Spills and thrills

Postby Neuro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Let's hear about the 'war wounds' and terrors you've likely had so far.

Me I scraped my hip and elbow on my second ever outing as the transition between downhill and flat was not as expected. Now I use hard elbow and knee pads..

Another is when the pole got stuck between two planks on a boardwalk and I couldn't let it go due to the velcro strap. It jerked me into a fall and twisted the elbow which took months to recover fully.

Then I've been attacked by a rottweiler dog, only saving myself with a death cry and some poling action. A border collie did bite my pole once though. Another time a leashed doberman was so eager to attack that the owner had to sit on it and was hardly able to contain it even then. Pretty scary stuff.

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Spills and thrills

Postby bmullin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 pm

Lots of various spills that left me bloody.

Took a header one time and landed on hands and ended rolling my hand under my chest and broke my fifth metatarsal. That sucked. I had a 10km ski back to my car and then drove myself to the ER instead of back to work like I was supposed to do after my "lunch break".

I've taken a couple of superman dives off the side of the road when I got going too fast. Thankfully those never resulted in anything more than dirty clothes.

I've done the pole caught in the crack thing too. That hurts like crazy.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Lots, but one in particular: I was skiing in V2, and going fast, when I hit gravel? something, that stopped my ski and propelled me forehead first into the pavement, arms were back so I couldn't get my hands out in front to break my fall; it seemed to happen instantly! Stunned me for a full minute or so, cracked my helmet, and I lost a cheap pair of sunglasses, but no real harm.

Bottom line: if I hadn't been wearing a good helmet, I'm sure I wouldn't be writing this.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 pm

I've had some real decent luck on close calls while on rollerskis. The latest scare was from a distracted driver. A few times with tired legs I got too close to the gravel on the side of the road which sucked me in to the ditch. Also some of the roads I use around me have gravel driveways when people pull out it scatters small pebbles on the road those can get jammed hard and send you flying. I have been able to escape by a kind of flailing running it out. Mid summer the road crews seal cracks in pavement, that when hot can catch a ski or a pole. I have had a friend go down this year due to that. I've had to retire a few great routes due to all of the above

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:44 pm

davidb wrote:Bottom line: if I hadn't been wearing a good helmet, I'm sure I wouldn't be writing this.

Amen. I had an almost exact situation. but on a bicycle. Twice. Both times front wheel got stuck, and I went flying over handlebars, head and shoulder first into the pavement. If it wasn't for the helmet, I might be 6 feet under, and that would be the better outcome.
Fortunately for me, both times shoulder took the brunt of the fall, and I have a persistent injury to 2 of the 4 rotator cuffs.

And as you said, this type of accidents happens shockingly fast - one second you are moving along, split second later you are smashing into pavement - no chance whatsoever to take any action.

Also, my accidents, rollerski or bike, were 100% my own fault - lack of attention. There was one exception when Rotofella binding failed while I was striding. I fell with my pole-holding arm tucked under my chest, bruised my ribs and had to deal with chest pain for a few weeks.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:18 am

Hearing your stories about head first spills and no chance to react is just as I've experienced it on snow ski crossing them going too fast a bumpy slope except it was straight on the face, scraping it bloody.

And face first on asphalt after getting a pole in between my ski while skating is my big fear rollerskiing so really thinking about getting a helmet with face guard like this:
Last edited by Neuro on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 pm

neuro wrote:And face first on asphalt after getting a pole in between my ski while skating is my big fear rollerskiing so really thinking about getting a helmet with face guard like this:

IMHO, this type of helmet reinforcement would be useless, except maybe for a very minor scrapes.
During an accident, the helmeted head usually hits the ground hard enough to crack the hardshell and the polyurethane inside of the helmet.
The face protector the helmet in the picture appears too flimsy to withstand any non-trivial impact.
For a full face protection I think you'd need a motorcycle-type helmet.

Return to “Roller Skis”