How's the season going?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Re: How's the season going?

Postby Neuro » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:14 am

Got going regular rollerskiing again now that my boat is parked for the winter, but of course now there's wet leaves. I thought today would be the first outing free of a dog incident, but then one had to bark at me at the end.. :x

Another thing I've been considering lately is the sheer noise of the poles. I mean people are having a nice relaxing walk along the path, and there I come clac, clac, clac. I see some get jumped by it. I wish there was a more quiet type, but then again, it's nice to make some noise to alert people I'm coming also.. Image

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Been very infrequent outings this season, but now all of a sudden I can do two-skate for long stretches even with my badly misaligned V2s. Something must have clicked.

Since starting skating some years ago, I've found this to be the most difficult technique even on snow, needing good conditions since it requires immediate and good balance for quite long on one ski.

And even if rollerski has good grip, the risk (and experience) of tipping to the outside edge while balancing has always prevented much training and it's mostly been one skate and offset, and when the V2s became so crooked I've stopped trying altogether, but I tried a few times now and there it is. I guess I just trust things more now.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:05 am

I find that V2 is only hard when I'm doing it wrong. :)

My view is that it is NOT longer glide on each side. It's often a move used on a slight uphill.

If you're tipping to the outside work on weighting your big toe -- even just visualizing this.

But also I found that when I changed to carbon poles it was night and day. Also changing to slightly shorter poles really helped.

A big aspect of this move is that the upper body action is LESS. Just do a crunch and short skate on each side. Don't throw the arms back hardly at all. High flared elbows and flicky hands might help. Go for total bone-on-bone. (It can be slightly tricky feely the bone-on-bone for this move but it's there.)

You want this to be a stable restful move that prevents bogdown. It's not harder than the others.

Extend from there if you feel like it. But you'd never want to over-glide, over-stride -- as with any move. Unless you're just having fun and want to work more. :) I'm pretty sure the mantra is "you're slowing when you're gliding." Then you have to re-accelerate. If skis are gliding fast just enjoy that but keep same tempo that fits with having your body always moving. Maybe exert less if glide is better. Or increase tempo.

It's a light, easy, minimalist move. ...Or at least you can start with that. ...And take that approach quite far. Extend from there whenever you feel rock solid doing so.

I've also greatly benefited by dryland for V2. Just hop back and forth and do the arm action. Relax, look up. It's a slightly unnatural rhythm in a way but one that is also readily trainable.

Your arm action is just helping each leg to not bog down on an uphill. ...But not such a steep uphill that you want to switch to V1. Or you just want a change of motion.

Whattaya think?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Good points. I will definitely try the big toe focus trick. Also the reduced arm action. I've already noticed this helps quite a bit. Maybe this is part of why I got better as I just remembered how the pros do 'crunches' like you say keeping the arms close. Helps keep balance nice and stable.

And absolutely with the carbon poles. I tried my old aluminum for fun and it was almost like a joke, even if they're not that much heavier. Even a slight difference between carbon poles is noticeable, this could be a thing many beginners overlook in their budget.

But I bet the biggest help would be to get properly aligned skis and maybe even a tracker tool like this. I saw in a recent skating rollerski test the older and cheaper Swenor aluminum came out best because of its good tracking

Michael_A
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Michael_A » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 am

Aligning skis is easy and cheap. Just loosen the bolts in both the front and back axles, clamp the two wheels in between two straight boards (ensuring the wheels are forced to be parallel and in alignment) then tighten the axles while the wheels are clamped. It takes about a minute and costs nothing.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Good idea although there's no guarantee the planks are perfectly straight, but it won't give a satisfactory result in my case as the forks are bent in all axis so even if I managed to bend them to a certain alignment, the ski might still be off in relation to the wheel axis.

I also believe the forks on the V2s are just the wrong design and have a certain flex in them. Certainly are very easy to bend as there is little sideways rigidity.

Compare that to the box-like structure of these forks which will not bend sideways easily:

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:18 am

Someone in my area are selling a used set of Jenex V2 Aero XL for $65 including speed reducers, brake, extra wheel and pump. Looks like a good deal, but are they any good and would I really use them when I have normal V2s?

Last edited by Neuro on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:35 am

Neuro wrote:Someone in my area are selling a used set of Jenex V2 Aero XL for $65 including speed reducers, brake, extra wheel and pump. Looks like a good deal, but are they any good and would I really use them when I have normal V2s?

That is very inexpensive; just a pump can cost that much. If you have not tried pneumatic wheels before you have a good opportunity. The roller skis are very tail-heavy though.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:55 am

I bought them and turns out there was even an extra brake, it was just in pieces and missing screws. (I know from my V2 that screws come loose very easily).

Surprised how light are. I really thought they would be heavier. But they are quite short.

The previous owner was American as it turns out. He's been using it on gravel roads, but will now switch to asphalt only. I will use them for the early spring months when there's still gravel on the paths, unless I find they are good enough to be used whole year as my normal route can be bumpy.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:16 am

Neuro wrote:But they are quite short.

Yes, they are more like roller skates than roller skis. It seems you can have the bindings a little further back, especially if you modify the rear forks like I suggested to Tom once, and thereby make them a little more ski like. But take them for a ride first and tell us your impressions. I recommend the maximum air pressure.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:03 am

Do you remember where you posted about the mod?

And anybody remember the tyre pressures for these?

Raining heavily now but will see if I get time tomorrow to try them out.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Judging from how 1 tyre is deflated, the spare is half way on the spare wheel, and another wheel having been changed without the other being much worn (rather buy a new complete wheel than change tube), I deduce there's been a lot of aggro with flats. Maybe what caused the skis to be sold in the end..

And I can see why. Trying to fit a wheel on the rim seems near impossible by hand, but a Youtube vid shows it's possible.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Wow, Skike has a very nifty tyre changing tool, especially for putting them on, check this out: https://youtu.be/CHrK-KzrVdE?t=2m55s

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Neuro wrote:Do you remember where you posted about the mod?

The modification consists of cutting away bits of the fork above the shaft directly behind the heel piece of the binding.

Neuro wrote:And anybody remember the tyre pressures for these?

I suppose it is 6.2 bar (90 PSI). Check what it says on the side of the tyre.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Neuro wrote:Wow, Skike has a very nifty tyre changing tool, especially for putting them on, check this out: https://youtu.be/CHrK-KzrVdE?t=2m55s

Yes, it seems very handy.

Return to “Roller Skis”