Sovereign Lake (BC)

Trail Conditions Across Canada

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

Sovereign Lake (BC)

Postby LewLasher » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 am

This week I'm at the Sovereign Lake cross-country area near Vernon, British Columbia.

Conditions have been consistently good here - I've been following the weather and trail reports the last few weeks. Note that the weather forecasts for "Vernon, BC" are for the town of Vernon, which has been getting a lot of rain lately with temperatures oscillating above and below freezing. However, the ski area is mostly at 1600-1800 m. The snow line lately has been around 1100-1200 m, so the trails have been getting snow while the town has gotten rain.

There are two main clusters of trails: "Sovereign Lake" and "Silver Star" (the latter also being the name of an alpine ski area), connected by longer-distance trails rated as "most difficult" on the trail map. The Silver Star trails are slightly lower, about 1400-1600 m.

So far I have not been able to explore very much of even the "Sovereign Lake" trails, but what I've seen so far looks pretty good.

LewLasher
World Cup

Re: Sovereign Lake (BC)

Postby LewLasher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 am

Today I was able to get out slightly further into the Sovereign Lake trail system, and I enjoyed skiing on the (intermediate-rated) trail called "Carl Wylie". Both for the heated cabin located roughly halfway along the trail, and for the excellent design of the trail itself. In fact, I kept saying to my fellow skiers that "whoever designed this trail did a great job."

On the second half of the trail (which was even better than the first half), we had to get out of the way as an extremely wide Pisten Bully approached. Then, the man running the grooming machine got out, and we chatted with him.

The groomer's father was Carl Wylie, we learned. In fact, the place on the side of the trail where we had stepped to get out of the way of the enormous grooming machine was, we also learned, the final resting place of the ashes of both of the groomer's parents. On a less macabre note, my earlier question was answered: the groomer's father was the person responsible for the excellent trail design.

We also learned that the forest through which we were skiing was relatively new growth following a big fire about 100 years ago.

I can't remember the rest of our historical "guided tour", but it was definitely worth the price of admission.

Return to “Canada”