World's most eager skier?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Re: World's most eager skier?

Postby trotro » Fri May 11, 2018 3:15 am

You've got nicer conditions than we have, no real re-freeze around here for crust skiing for weeks due to temperatures + cloud cover

https://youtu.be/Q_Svd3YCYRY

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Fri May 11, 2018 4:23 am

trotro wrote:You've got nicer conditions than we have, no real re-freeze around here for crust skiing for weeks due to temperatures + cloud cover

https://youtu.be/Q_Svd3YCYRY

Awesome video - did you film this?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 am

Nice video. Where I live the limiting factor for the ski season is relatively low elevation. Lake Superior provides somewhat of a buffer against warming trends, and usually ample lake effect snowfall, 767cm (302") this season. Crust skiing is highly dependent on freeze thaw cycles and every year is different. This year there were very few thaw days until April, but April turned out to be very good for skiing and I managed to ski every day in the month for a total of 108 hours of cross country and 2 alpine powder days. It was cold this morning so I did manage one more May ski at a North facing sand pit near my home, pretty limited in scope, and sun cupped in places, but I managed to stay amused for a couple of hours skiing a short circuit skating, double poling, with a few nice downhill turns thrown in.
Attachments
002-e.jpg
My backyard this afternoon. Typical May conditions. Where there is still snow it is ridiculously deep, where it is gone it is gone, and its mostly gone.
002-e.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sat May 12, 2018 6:04 am

What a nice back garden. Would love to live like that one day, but only if there are (daily) groomed trails nearby. I'm so spoiled for that now..

And fab video in a beautiful scenery Trotro. I like the slow and 'hold' camera flying.

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Tue May 15, 2018 2:40 am

Neuro wrote:What a nice back garden. Would love to live like that one day, but only if there are (daily) groomed trails nearby. I'm so spoiled for that now..

And fab video in a beautiful scenery Trotro. I like the slow and 'hold' camera flying.

Thanks guys, it was just an initial attempt at some video, the snow was soggier than I expected at 1800 meters.

We had fresh snow to 1000m in the French Alps (and probably elsewhere). Some people were able to get out at les Saisies, although skating in fresh snow is hard work, I wonder if it will be better after a bit of a crust forms.

- Photo from Adrien Backscheider

Return to “General Discussion”