Double Poling Question

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Double Poling Question

Postby Pat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:27 am

Howdee -- have any of you folks noticed that if you ever pick up any injuries/body tweaks from double poling? I really enjoy double poling both roller skiing, actually skiing, and even on the Skierg. The reason for my question is that I'm also a competitive runner and I have noticed that I've recently picked up some annoying injuries/strains to quads/glutes etc., and looking back at differences in training, the only thing that I can point out to myself is that is the DPing and adding training on the Skierg. ( I do love that Skierg and gets use by my entire extended family)

So I am positive that Nordic Skiing in all its forms have really helped my athleticism but just a question if anyone else has had similar experience.

As always thanks for the time and feedback.

Pat

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Double Poling Question

Postby Pat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:40 am

I need to correct my question -- it is not double poling but double pole/kick that is the question. So sorry for misstating the issue.

Pat

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:10 pm

This probably not useful, but I'm going to tell my tale any way. One year ago I was rollerskiing three times a week, really easy, riding my Mtb a couple times a week, and using the the ski erg daily. This routine was effective and I was making progress; felt good every day too, never injured.

So then since things were going so well I decided to add in easy weights twice a week, really light and easy. A little later, I also decided to start using a rower, just a little. Then instead of having the newspaper delivered, I decided to hike a cool little trail to the local 7/11 to buy a paper; there and back 2 miles? nothing, right? Then I started taking poles to stride the short hills. Started to really push on the ski erg too. Then 30 lunges a day with weight vest.
For some reason despite all this extra work I stopped making progress, felt tired and beat up a lot too.
Old age I guess, I'm sure I'll adapt if I just keep it up.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:28 am

Pat wrote:I need to correct my question -- it is not double poling but double pole/kick that is the question. So sorry for misstating the issue.

Hey, Pat! The legwork of classic skiing is very well known for easily causing injuries in the groins, especially to those knew to the movements, so pain in quads or glutes sounds not at all surprising. One has to start out easy and get used to the movements. Maybe these problems are more common with the Skierg; I have never used one and know very little about the device. In classic roller skiing the stress from the legwork is a little less thanks to the better grip in the kick compared to classic skiing on snow.

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks Gents -- I'm going to throttle back on the double pole kick and just keep in the with the classic stride and double pole -- along with the other stuff I do. I appreciate the comments and the analogies.

Well here is to keeping the fires burning and always learning -- I appreciate the advice and knowledge.

Pat

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 am

Well I think I figured out what my issue is. I had started pushing my foot a lot further forward than I previously had when doing diagonal strides. I think I've been over striding and putting pressure on the upper hamstrings/glutes. Corrected that today on a pretty intense roller ski session and things seem to be fine.

So I guess the moral of the story is to try things a little bit at a time, and don't just change technique because you read something that says they recommend you do it this way...

Pat

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:17 pm

That's interesting, but don't know if the long stride is recommended from a performance point of view as I hear in World Cup how most have changed style to a more shorter stride, and only Russians and some others sticking with the traditional longer stride.

Of course the Russians are just as fast so it might be that the style change has to do with restitution/recovery as well, since I hear coaches and athletes talk about this all the time like a new mantra. Maybe like you they found the shorter stride wears less and is just as fast / gives better training / consistent results. Of course in this case it's only about kick-double pole, but it would be the same.

Interestingly, pundits are pointing out the the kick-double pole technique is being phased out by some athletes to where it's either stride or double poling only, although with the new pole length rules and other measures to prevent double poling, it's more used again now.

Return to “General Discussion”