Harvard: Interstellar asteroid Oumuamua may actually be of extra-terrestrial origin

Anything goes, politics, jokes, etc

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Harvard: Interstellar asteroid Oumuamua may actually be of extra-terrestrial origin

Postby Neuro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 pm

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-oumuamua- ... solar.html

Did you see this?

Mind-blowing to think about.. :o

Justinvs
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Harvard: Interstellar asteroid Oumuamua may actually be of extra-terrestrial origin

Postby Justinvs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:07 pm

I just read an update last night about Oumuamua which stated they can't find any unusual radio signals emanating from it. Then again, do they really think a species capable of making million year + interstellar voyages would still be communicating by radio???

I remember reading Rendezvous with Rama ages and ages ago, and if ever a piece of rock fit the scenario Arthur C. dreamed up way back when, this is it!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Harvard: Interstellar asteroid Oumuamua may actually be of extra-terrestrial origin

Postby Neuro » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 am

Rama indeed, I didn't think about it before. But I believe the theory of the Harvard team is that Oumuamua must be a solar sail and therefore wafer thin for the most part. If so it would just be a scout which is ironic as that's what the name means.

Synchronicity you would mention Rama as I was just thinking about Clarke yesterday when there was an article about his space elevator idea being seriously considered as a viable option now.

Agree the radio argument is lame.

Return to “Way Off Topic”