Add to my quiver?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Alexsummit8475
xcskiforum 10K

Add to my quiver?

Postby Alexsummit8475 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 am

Hi,
Im a somewhat competitive racer at the high school level. I also do club racing in Colorado. I am hoping to go to junior nationals this year and want to have a ski for any conditions so I can qualify and preform. I currently own Rossignol zymax skate skis and Salomon equipe 7 classic skis for training. And the race side I have a pair of Salomon slab red skate skis, Salomon slab carbon yellow skate skis, Fisher speedmax 812 classics skis, and Rossignol xium c3 classic skis. I was wondering if zeros or skin skis would really help where my other skis wouldn’t fit for the conditions.

Thanks,
Alex

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: Add to my quiver?

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:38 am

Usually it's rare that a skin ski is competitive compared to a waxed ski or simply double poling. A zero ski is also a rare ski to use, but when it's needed it can offer a real advantage, but you might be able to turn your training skis into a zero ski for a day. So I guess you should look at the course profile up in AK and see if you can dp that course. (I have no idea if it's really hilly.)

It sounds like you're more competitive in classic than skate since you want to add a classic ski. As I purchase more skis, skis are often quite different. I got a new set of classic skis (before last season) and finally got to ski them on natural snow and they're really good. Very good kick and glide ompared to my other skis (and I've owned a bunch). The difference is the pressure profile. I ended up paying full price, but I got all my classic skis analyzed and a new pair from a very knowledgeable picker with hand picked skis picked at the factory (with a bench that measures pressure not just contact points).

What I'm getting at is the need for a new pair depends on what you have (in pressure profiles). E.g. on the skate ski, the Salomon Red tends to have very short contact glide zones. The Salomon Yellows tend to be medium contact zones. So if you're racing on cold or artificial snow, you may not have a ski that's good in those conditions. Sometimes a warm snow ski does well on cold, and sometimes a Yellow ski may have a long, smooth contact zone (which tends to do well in cold and artificial), but maybe not.

It's similar in classic except the key is what does the ski do as the pressure on the foot increases. I have one pair where the kick zone does not really release onto the snow (bad). As pressure increases it simply adds pressure to the glide zone in front of the kick zone. It's fine for training and seems to do fine on artificial hard snow with klister even though it says "cold" on the ski's label. Because of the label and suggested list price, many would think this is a great ski for cold conditions.

Sorry for the long winded response.

Jay

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Talk to you JN coach. They can tell you better what you need.

Easy answer is you need a cold snow skate ski. Long contact zones with a finer grind.

BTW, the Colorado JN squads use zeros a lot so having a pair would be a good idea.

Sea&Xc
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Sea&Xc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 am

I would echo what is said above. Your coach should be able to help answer what conditions your current skis excel at and where the gaps are. Zeros are very much a specialty ski and are good when the conditions are right, usually freshly fall snow right at or slightly above freezing. Skin skis are getting faster (I have TS Carbon, and a TS Speedmax is now available) and are being raced in longer citizen races but are primarily a training ski. You can modify the skin (shave hairs, kick wax the ends of the kick zone) but I would only do that in an emergency or if you had skis to experiment on.

I would make sure your current skis are sized and flexed appropriately for you before adding a Zero to the mix. A skin ski would be a possibility if it allows you to get more time on snow and have someone who will be waxing for you, but not plan to race on it.

A lot of folks think warm and cold snow conditions, I would encourage you to think about the moisture content of the snow. Alaska will generally have more moisture and skis should have a more aggressive grind than what you're used to in CO. When I worked for FIscher, Plus base was the dominant base. In the Rockies (CO/UT), the Cold base did outperform the Plus on a regular basis due to the drier snow.

You should travel with 2 skate skis and 2 classic minimum if you are able to. Skate: 1 for hard/icy snow, 1 for soft fresh snow Classic: 1 klister, 1 dry wax ski.

Don't fret too much about what you can't control (weather, having perfect gear). Focus on your training and performance and what you can do to maximize it. Enjoy the experience regardless of the result.

Good luck.

Alexsummit8475
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Alexsummit8475 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks so much. I'll talk to my coach!

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”