classic faster than skate for some climbing?

Talk about upcoming events

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

classic faster than skate for some climbing?

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 am

Is there any chance that at a certain degree of steepness that classic is faster than skating? The V1 waddle seems inefficient at some point while classic still can give forward Glide at the point of steepness before herringbone is required
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Re: classic faster than skate for some climbing?

Postby TooHeavy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Always found classic was faster up steep hills if waxed perfect and the track is good. Grade just prior to having to herring bone.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:53 pm

While watching the last stage of the Tour de Ski (uphill stage), I noticed they were only going 6 KPH on the steep sections. I'd think running with climbing skins would be faster?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34 pm

TooHeavy wrote:Always found classic was faster up steep hills if waxed perfect and the track is good. Grade just prior to having to herring bone.

My experience too.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:22 am

i classicked yesterday w two intermediate skaters. they would gain on me on the flats and downs and i would catch and pass them on every climb!

i don't think their V1 was very efficient. later on i went out skating. i've only skated a couple times this season and I noticed how much feel and technique is required for good steep climbing V1. you can easily slip into a laboring w wide tips mode. one could easily start 'churning.' but it was also possible to use 'light feet' and somehow 'milk' the glide from the tails area (it felt like). how i handled my torso motion and angle was also critical. quite a few subtle factors.

i'm guessing i was occasionally faster climbing in V1 than i was striding. ...but i also noticed how it was easier to get exhausted when skating compared to striding. i hate how ppl say that skating is 'harder' than striding, but it does have a slower tempo and uses a bit more muscle and so it is easy to bog down. ...like trying to climb a steep hill on a bike in a big gear compared to spinning.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “Races and Racing”